Thanks to Mariah Bear and her great Yahoo group, sfpubgroup, for this information. She describes her Yahoo group as “a book (and magazine and online) publishing networking group for folks in the San Francisco Bay Area. Mainly job postings, but some other resource sharing, and the ongoing desire to start getting together again for beers and, as they say, put the ‘pub’ back in publishing.”
Sign up for Mariah’s group at this Yahoo page.
Wilderness Press Seeking Publicist
Wilderness Press, a publisher of outdoor guides based in Berkeley, CA, is looking for a publicist to handle all aspects of promotion and publicity. Founded in 1967, the press is now part of Keen Communications, parent company of Menasha Ridge Press and Clerisy Press. We specialize in books on backpacking, hiking, urban trekking, and other subjects of interest to outdoor enthusiasts. The publicist will work in coordination with the other imprints and may, at times, represent titles from those imprints as well.
The ideal candidate will have experience working for a book publisher and pitching successful ideas to media contacts, retailers, and publishing partners, and following through. Personal knowledge and enthusiasm of the subject areas we publish, including California hiking, backpacking, and outdoor adventuring, is vital. The publicist will report to the Sales Manager and Associate Publisher.
- Working closely with frontlist as well as backlist authors, and having a thorough understanding of the entire list.
- General publicity outreach for all books in current list and past seasonsincluding print, radio, TV and internet outlets (i.e. social media sites, blogs, meet-up groups, etc.)
- Writing all press materials, including media releases, author bios, collateral material, and catalog copy; reaching out to special interest groups for partnership with events and cross-promotions.
- Nominating books for regional and national book awards where appropriate.
- Scheduling book tours/author signings in bookstores, REI locations, and other outlets for a particular book. Having a working knowledge of book events, their demands, and which combination of location/ venue/book will be successful is a must.
- Working with media needs: facilitating and sending images, text, excerpts, and connecting them with authors for interviews quickly and efficiently.
- Candidate must be able to create, solid, targeted media lists for each book, based on the author, book topic, market demographics and review possibilities, from print media to radio, TV, and internet opportunities.
- Ability to blend and prioritize the needs of traditional media with social media outreach, Working knowledge of Cision, Burrells-Luce, or other media database.
- Top-notch writing and interviewing skills for working with authors and with media.
- Must be able to work independently, but also as part of a small, close-knit office, and the larger Keen Communications workplace. Will be expected to `hit the ground running’ with little on-the-job training.
- Must be familiar with Cision, Microsoft Office, Adobe programs, and be able to pick up new software and new media skills quickly.
- B.A or B.S. required; 2-5 years publicity experience for book publisher preferred.
Full-time. Excellent benefits, including health insurance, sick leave, vacation days, retirement plan after one year.
How to apply:
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put the job title in the subject line. Send your cover letter as MS Word attachments or as PDF files only. We will contact you only if we decide to pursue your application.