The marketing and publicity director at Heyday is responsible for overseeing the promotion of all Heyday titles and ensuring visibility for the organization as a whole.
You report directly to the publisher, and comprise an equal third of the sales and marketing department: the other two include the sales manager and the events and outreach director. A permanent, part-time sales and marketing consultant is on staff to help train and offer guidance, but not to supervise. You will be expected to be able to work independently but also as part of a close-knit team, and—with the help of the publisher and the sales consultant—to prioritize your time effectively according to the needs of the company.
The ideal candidate will be expected to:
• Build and maintain relationships with traditional and online media outlets
• Coordinate media interviews, develop media contact lists, pitch media, coach authors, and track and report all media coverage for approx. twelve frontlist titles per season and all backlist titles
• Brainstorm and implement creative ideas for capturing traditional and online media attention
• Solicit blurbs for individual titles
• Meet with authors to gather information, participate in long-term planning, and make recommendations for creating media opportunities
• Manage author relations to leverage author expertise and contacts to maximize publicity
• Project manage the creation of Heyday’s seasonal catalog
• Write marketing copy, including back cover copy, press release copy, and catalog copy
• Coordinate the creation of marketing materials such as galleys, blads, postcards, and flyers
• Attend Heyday events and industry related trade shows and conferences
• Submit award entries for individual titles as well as for the organization
• Create and adhere to the sales and marketing budget
• Work with Heyday Board of Directors, as needed
• Work on special projects, as needed
• Maintain website and regularly update with new content each season
• Manage and grow Heyday’s online community via social media platforms
• Create and distribute monthly e-newsletter
• Supervise and work with interns throughout the year
The position is 40+ hours per week.
• Two years’ experience in public relations/publicity, marketing, or the book industry
• Strong writing, communication, and organizational skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office required (Mac platform)
• Experience with Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Filemaker, and blogging software a plus
• Experience with social networking tools and basic knowledge of HTML required
• Comfortable speaking with representatives of the media on the phone or in person
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Heyday is an independent, nonprofit publisher and unique cultural institution. We promote widespread awareness and celebration of California’s many cultures, landscapes, and boundary-breaking ideas. Through our well-crafted books, public events, and innovative outreach programs we are building a vibrant community of readers, writers, and thinkers.