CALL FOR APPLICANTS
The Northern California Book Publicity and Marketing Association (NCBPMA) is pleased to announce that a $2,500 Scholarship Grant will be awarded to an applicant to further their career in the areas of book marketing, sales, or publicity. The committee is accepting applications until April 18, 2011.
The NCBPMA/Carol C. Butterfield Scholarship Grant was established by Carol Butterfield’s friends and family to honor her memory and to continue her efforts to help individuals develop their careers in book publishing. The Scholarship Grant is administered by the NCBPMA through an endowment managed by the Community Foundation for Monterey County.
Who should apply
- All who wants to further their education or experience in book marketing, publicity or sales and has a connection to Northern California (you, your colleagues, friends, or interns)
- Veterans of the industry who want to take classes that will further his or her career
What should it be used for
- Take classes in book publishing, marketing, sales, and communications
- Attend the Denver Publishing Institute, Yale Publishing Course, or other book publishing programs
- Finance a book marketing, sales, or publicity internship with a Northern California publisher, distributor, or bookseller
- You must be a resident of Northern California (defined as Monterey north) OR doing an internship or taking classes in Northern California (if you aren’t a resident)
- The Scholarship Grant must be used within one year of being awarded
A panel of judges from the San Francisco Bay Area book community will review applications in April/May, and the Scholarship Grant recipient(s) will be honored at a subsequent NCBPMA event soon after. Scholarship Grant recipient(s) will be expected to speak briefly at an NCBPMA event and contribute an article for the NCBPMA Newsletter. In addition, they agree to be a judge for the following year’s scholarship.
To apply for the Scholarship Grant, please supply the following information in one package:
- Brief resume with educational/professional background and information about any previous book publishing experience
- Detailed description of how you plan to use the scholarship and how it will help you with your professional development, and your financial need
- Brief statement describing what you would like to learn about book publishing
- Brief statement of your future goals in publishing
- 5. At least two professional or educational letters of recommendation (these must be included with your application)
Please send or deliver the requested materials in reproducible form to be received no later than April 18, 2011 to the address below. Emailed or faxed applications will not be accepted.
- Michael Crowley, Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc., 235 Montgomery Street, Suite 650, San Francisco, CA 94104-2916
- Questions may be directed to Michael Crowley at 415-743-6464, or email@example.com